Skip to main content

A story with a Point

There are two types of Opinion, Direct and Indirect. Direct opinions are created by first-hand experiences and the latter is conceived from other's experiences. The effect, a first hand experience leaves on you is remarkable. Such was my experience with Delhi Police. I've always harbored a negative opinion against Delhi Police. Mainly due to the incidents reported in newspapers and like as I said earlier, from indirect opinions. And I tell u, this one incident changed all of that. I don't know whether you can look at this incident as an anecdotal evidence but it is.

Today when I was in transit in metro, my pocket was picked near Chandni Chowk metro station. It was very crowded and was too late before I noticed. Thanks to the Prime Minister there wasn't much in my wallet. But I have my credit and debit cards in it. I blocked my cards right away, as a precaution.
The guy who picked my pocket would have been disappointed and cursed me, such was the condition of my wallet. Luckily I had my sister with me and she paid at the exit gate for me since my metro card too was in the wallet.

 I reached home and began to share the incident with my family and  my door bell rung. My uncle opened the door. A tall, lean lady stood outside our home.

She introduced herself as a policewoman. She gave the wallet to my uncle saying that she got it from metro. we were all stunned. It wasn't even one hour since I lost the wallet and look, the wallet reached me back. While we were wonder struck she unfolded the story. It was lying in the floor when one of her colleague found it and got this address from the id card in the wallet. This lady, who happened to reside nearby my home volunteered to deliver it. And now, she is standing in front of my door. It all happened with in a minute that before we could digest what is happening here, She just gave the wallet and left without even waiting for our acknowledgement. I don't know whether it's her duty as a policewoman or her duty towards a fellow human being made her do this. I silently thanked the two police women who had the time to spend for another human being and who made me believe in the goodness and integrity of Delhi Police which I was very doubtful earlier. Its people like them we still believe in miracles. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The bloodsucking Yakshi

When I was a kid, April and May fell in the list of my favourite months. Not because it's going to rain and there would be mud all around, but those are the months my cousins would be here at our family house, in our hometown in Kerala. Those are the memories I would cherish forever. My grand-mother has 5 offsprings, 4 boys and a girl. My father is the second eldest of five. Then, he was the only one staying in Kerala and everyone else was in different parts of India, a Pan-India Family one could say. We were all present, it's like Parliament, shouting, laughing, scolding children, people everywhere, busy doing their chores. An outsider entering the home can still go unnoticed. Life was less complicated then. We were just ........just ourselves. Everyone you valued dearly is with you. It's like, the world has shrunken to a square block of bricks and mortar. Now it's all feel like a fairy-tale, one of the best things about joint-family. We are all tired of day's

THE EPIC - where to draw the line?

India is the land where history and myth get intertwined in such a way that you cannot say which is which. One of India's gift to the world of literature is her majestic epical wonder " Mahabharata ", attributed to some one(might be one person or many) called Vyasa or Vyas ( Ved Vyas ) which literally means one who dissected 'Veda' (religious and philosophical writings of Hindu religion). Research on this great epic revealed that many appendage had been done to the original text , before it became whole. Mahabharata's impact on Indian psyche is so profound that people consumed every word of it as such.  Characters were being worshipped as role models, like modern day Bollywood stars. As the generations passed by, line which divides the story and reality started blurring. Stories told and retold, appended stories that were not present at the beginning happened, kind of regional versions. Many dynasties and empires came and gone everyone tried to leave t

Dream Catcher

Baby was cooing subtly while lying in her bed. Her eyelids are twitching quickly, and she seems fidgety. making tiny noises as though she's dreaming. Her tiny, chubby arms and legs are up in the air, perhaps grasping for something. "Don't worry, little one" a cool breeze swept the room, whispering softly to the baby. The dream-catcher that was hanging on the door began to cling to the wind. Baby's face is now serene. Her tiny legs and limbs are now at rest. She let out a small smile and a chuckle. She is enjoying her dream. She can hear dream-catcher singing to her. "   Oh.. creator of this  mighty   universe,      Please watch over her in your righteous way.      Be with her now, and guard her smile for eons to come   "