Sometimes I catch myself hurrying when there is absolutely no need to hurry. I walk fast inside the house. I eat as if someone is waiting to take the plate away. I finish one task while my mind has already started fighting with the next three.
Then I stop and ask myself: What exactly am I late for?
Most of the time, I have no answer.
There is no train to catch, no flight waiting, and no one standing behind me with a stopwatch. Still, somewhere inside the mind, an alarm keeps ringing. It tells me to move faster, earn more, know more, finish everything and become someone important before time runs out.
The funny thing is that nobody knows when this imaginary deadline was fixed.
The Clock Inside Our Head
Life gives us many clocks. There is a clock for education, another for a job, one for marriage, one for buying a house, and probably one for looking successful while doing all of it. If somebody younger reaches a place before us, the clock suddenly becomes louder.
We look at another person’s life and quietly ask, “Why am I still here?”
But here compared to where? And late according to whose timetable?
We seldom compare the full story. We compare our confusion with someone else’s announcement. We see the new job, the car, the smiling family photograph or the holiday picture. We do not see the fear, debt, arguments, loneliness or sleepless nights outside that frame. Yet we use that one polished moment as evidence that our own life is moving too slowly.
That is a very unfair case to conduct against ourselves.
Peace Is Not Laziness
For a long time, I thought [being busy meant being useful. If the day did not leave me tired, I felt I had wasted it. Rest had to be earned, and even after earning it, I did not know how to enjoy it.
Many of us confuse peace with doing nothing. But peace is not the absence of work. It is the absence of unnecessary war inside the mind.
A peaceful person can still be ambitious. He can work hard, make plans and care about the future. The difference is that he does not turn every delay into a personal failure. He knows that a bad day is only a bad day, not proof that his entire life has gone wrong.
Peace also does not mean that problems disappear. Bills will still arrive with perfect punctuality. The phone will ring at the wrong time. People will misunderstand us with remarkable confidence. Life will continue to be life. Peace is simply the ability to face these things without allowing every small disturbance to become a storm.
Art of Doing One Thing
Perhaps the simplest way to stop rushing is to return to one thing at a time. When eating, just eat. When listening to someone, listen without preparing the reply. When resting, do not put yourself on trial for resting.
This sounds easy. It is not.
The mind enjoys travelling without a ticket. It goes to yesterday, jumps to next year and returns with ten new worries. Bringing it back requires patience. Not force, just patience.
It also helps to decide what is enough for a day. There will always be one more email, another household job, another video to watch and another piece of news demanding our immediate anger. If we wait for everything to be completed before we feel calm, calmness will remain permanently postponed.
Some things can wait. Some things can remain unfinished. The world has survived many of my incomplete to-do lists. I am beginning to suspect it will survive a few more.
Leave a Little Space
We fill every empty minute because silence makes us uncomfortable. While waiting, we take out the phone. While eating, we watch something. Even while talking, part of the mind is somewhere else.
But an empty moment is not useless. It is where thoughts settle. It is where we notice the evening light on a wall, the sound of rain, an old song from a nearby house, or the face of the person sitting across from us.
Life often speaks softly. If we are always rushing, it cannot compete with the noise.
We do not need to escape to a mountain to find peace. Sometimes we only need to stop carrying the whole world into every room we enter. Ten quiet minutes may not solve life, but not every minute has to solve life.
Everyone Has a Different Pace
Nature does not appear embarrassed by its timing. A mango tree does not look at a coconut tree and panic. Rain does not apologise for arriving late. Evening comes slowly, without checking whether we approve.
Only humans seem determined to reach the end before understanding the journey.
There will be periods when life moves quickly and periods when nothing seems to move. Both are part of living. A pause is not always a punishment. Sometimes it protects us from entering the wrong door. Sometimes it gives us time to understand what we actually want. And sometimes it is simply a pause; it does not need a grand explanation.
I am not saying we should stop planning or become careless. I am saying we should stop treating every year, every month and every ordinary morning as a test we are about to fail.
Today, I am not promising to become a peaceful person overnight. That would be one more deadline, and I already have enough of those. I am only trying to walk without treating every road like a racetrack.
Maybe peace is not waiting for us somewhere at the end. Maybe it has been walking beside us all along, waiting for us to slow down enough to notice.
Comments
Post a Comment